Generally, how you divide your possessions is entirely up to you. However, your husband, wife or civil partner or any child can usually claim a share, even if this is not what you want. In these cases, the exact share is fixed by law, and we can explain how this works if the situation applies to you.

Remember you don’t have to specify exact amounts. Think in portions – such as whole, half, third, quarter – or percentages and then it will be easier to share out what you have.

You can also leave particular things to people, such as a house, jewellery or anything else that will have special personal value to someone.

< Back to list